Wednesday, March 12, 2014

       PLEASE...give me strength, is it the weekend yet??? Yeah sure, just one of those days I guess - No problemo, let the wine flow!! There now, life is good again so...off to the freezer!
    I spy with one of my eyes (I got a leaf from the damn oak tree in the other one and it's swollen) a baggie of large shrimp, Excellent! Let's cast our nets (hehehe) on "Teriyaki Shrimp with Fried Rice" for tonight's meal , DELECTABLE!!           This is what I have:
      1.  1lb fully cooked lrg shrimp, tails on (this bag has about one & a half lbs but who's counting)
                  p.s. you can always use raw shrimp, it will just take a little longer to cook
      2.  1 cup cooked rice (as I'm sure I have mentioned before, I use the 'quick' cook brown cause of my doggie food but you use what you like best)
      3.   bottle of teriyaki sauce (it will only take a few shakes, according to your own taste. I've got lo-sodium, it tastes just the same as reg. in the end) 
      4.   1/2 cup veggies...brocc, carrots, gr. beans etc. whatever you need to use up. (I always have bags of frozen mixed veggies in the freezer for my chickens, I think I've mentioned that before too but oh well, I said it again so enough already :) 
      5.    1 or 2 green onion (I have a bunch in the fridge drawer and I need to use them before they start to shrivel and rot. Thin sliced reg onion will work too)
      6.    1-2 tablespoons veg oil or if you just happen to have sesame oil (I keep my soy sc, teriyaki sc & sesame oil in the fridge door with the salad dressings to keep them fresh)
      7.     Now, if you really want to go all 'chef boyardee' and you happen to have a lemon, fresh parsley or sesame seeds...well then...you ARE amazing, I'm proud of you! A few options with this dish would be some sprinkles of fresh parsley & lemon zest over the top at the end & a spoonful of sesame seeds cooked in with the rice. Mmmmm
      Must relax some more, sip sip sip (gulp) there, good...that's better. Here we go.  Let's cook!!
 Fix the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large, non stick fry pan (or a wok if you really want to show off)  heat your oil on med - med high. When oil is hot, drop in your veggies. Stir veggies around for 3 or 4 mins then plop in the cooked rice. Shake a few tablespoons of teriyaki sc (or more if you want but taste for saltiness first) This is where you will sprinkle in the sesame seeds if your using them. Toss rice & veggies around till veggies are fully cooked and rice is browned & covered with the teriyaki sc. Throw in the shrimp and cook long enough to just heat the shrimp through (cook raw shrimp until it turns completely pink throughout). How fast is that??? Really, that's all there is to it. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle some chopped green onion, fresh parsley and a few scrapes of lemon zest right over the top. GORGIOUS, you got it baby!!!
               Like I always say, DERN TASTY!!! Have a great rest of your week :)

1 comment: