Wednesday, July 2, 2014

'BBQ Ribs OFF the Grill'

   The 4th of July is here again, The odor of smoky backyard grills fill the air and don't even get me started on the 'off the chart' smells billowing from every bbq joint you drive by - geeze, makes my taste buds dance and drool drip from my lips (oooh, gross) every time my senses are lucky enough to encounter these summery delights...However, there are those times (such as tonight) when I do NOT feel like going anywhere & sure as hell do NOT want to stand out there in this inferno-ish heat with my little buddies, the very hungry mosquitos, to babysit the bbq grill! And so, I kick off the work shoes, poor a mug full if icy cold beer and pull a slab of spareribs, that I already knew I had, out of the freezer to begin my 'faux' cookout!
   Besides another cold beer, this is what I've got:
         1. a 3-4 lb slab of ribs (whatever kind ya like)
         2. 3 tablespoons or so spicy mustard, for smearing
         3. your fave bbq sc, a few tablespoons will do but keep the bottle out for dipping
         4. spices, any ol' spices will do, the kind you would use when you grill out
             (I'm using a  good sprinkling of garlic powder, onion powder, blk pepper, cayenne
             pepper, a good glob of brown sugar,(not really a spice) & little salt)
         5. 3 tablespoons apple jc (orange jc, chicken stock or just water, you choose)
    That's it! You can even just use salt & pepper if you like...nobody cares! Anyhow, go fill up your mug then pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees. (I know, don't freak out)! Line a large shallow baking pan with aluminum foil (dull side up, don't ask me why). Cut the slab in half and slather both sides of each half with mustard (it won't taste mustardy...trust me). Now evenly cover both sides of the meat with your seasonings. Lay the 2 racks in the pan then pour in the liquid. Cover the pan completely and as tightly as you can then stick it in the oven. How hard was that?? After about 1 1/2 hrs, remove the ribs from the oven and take off the foil. Brush both sides of the ribs with bbq sauce & put them back in the oven, uncovered, for 15-20 mins until they are a gorgeous mahogany color and smell like heaven (if heaven was a backyard grill)! Now how simple was that??? With some pork n' beans, another cold beer, and plenty of napkins...life today is DERN TASTY!!! Happy 4th ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment